Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:02:26 -0500
From:      Scott W <wegster@mindcore.net>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to use lseek() system call with over 2G files?

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> writes:
>

>>In the last episode (Jan 06), Alex said:
>>

>>>Hi everybody!
>>>
>>>Some time ago there wasn't any possibility to create disk file larger
>>>than 2G and there was no problem with lseek().
>>>

>>Some time ago meaning around 1997?  FreeBSD has had 64-bit file access
>>since at least 2.2.0.  I don't remember if earlier versions had support
>>for it or not.
>>

>off_t has *never* been anything but 64-bit in FreeBSD.

This is interesting, having had to deal with the LARGEFILE_64_SOURCE and
_LP64 'hacks' (llseek(), creat64(), etc etc...back in Solaris from 2.6
on, which seem to still be in place in Solaris 9.  Are all file
operations and mmap() 64 bit capable then in FreeBSD (or presumably
Open/Net/FreeBSD?)  I don't see any LARGEFILE constants in FreeBSD....

Scott