Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2012 20:09:22 +0000
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please rebuild all ports that depend on PNG

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:34:59 +0100
> Chris Rees articulated:
>
>>On Jun 2, 2012 5:27 PM, "Jerry" <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 11:07:28 -0400
>>> b. f. articulated:

>>> I am receiving a: "This Connection is Untrusted" warning from Firefox
>>> when I attempt to connect to that URL. It is probably harmless;
>>> however, it certainly doesn't instill confidence is someone viewing
>>> the site for the first time.
>>>

>>It just means he hasn't bought a certificate- no less trustworthy than
>>vanilla (non-SSL) http.
>
> IMHO, if you are going to use "https" then you should have a proper SSL
> certificate. A self-signed one means virtually nothing. If the web site
> operator is not going to purchase an authentic certificate they why
> use SSL at all? Just my 2=A2 on the matter.

No, it means that the transfer is encrypted. There is no guarantee
that the site you are downloading from is the site you thought you
were, but many people like to do https as a matter of principle. For
this, self-signed certs  are fine.

And, if you think think a valid cert really guarantees anything other
than encryption, you have not been paying attention to the news. There
are lots of bogus, but properly signed certs out there.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com