Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:14:41 +0300
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA>
To:        "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
Cc:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Oracle

Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77) wrote:

> This may at first not seem to be related to ISP matters, but in my case it
> will be.
> I'll want to tie up CGI's to an oracle database, to be able to have the
> power behind
> oracle.  The amount of info I'll be dealing with will be large to begin
> with, and will
> only grow very quickly, so I don't want to have to reinvent the whell when
> something
> already exists.  The only problem is I don't know if Oracle has a version
> out for
> FreeBSD yet.  I know they have software for many other platforms (and very
> shortly
> including Linux) but I haven't found anything yet for FreeBSD.  I don't have
> much
> experience with Oracle and my learning curve will be steep, but I'd rather
> learn
> something solid running on something just as solid and secure, rather than
> have
> to deal with things I don't trust (i.e. M$) or creating something which will
> prove
> unreliable in the long run.
>
> In essence, I'd like to know where I can find a version of Oracle for
> FreeBSD...
> Any info (or suggestions) will be greatly appreciated.

1. Oracle 7.3 for SCO under emulation is work well eith FreeBSD.
  (You need enable in kernel sysv calls, very increase shared memory
   and number of semaphores)  Search "Oracle" in freebsd mail list
   archives for detailed  instructions, which was posted.

2. I have unfinished RPC bridge to Oracle, (which was working
for retrieve information only). I can publish this code.

3. We have CORBA CosQuery interface for ORACLE, wich would be aviable
in september. But it is planned to be commercical product.

4. thin JDBC driver for ORACLE is work under FreeBSD.

> Emmanuel

    @=
     //RSSH
mailto:Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA