Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:41:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        Foldi Tamas <crow@localhost.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interesting open() issue

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Foldi Tamas wrote:

> The program ran successfully, but the created file was different.
> On Linux:
>     -----w----    1 crow     crow            0 Jan 16 10:32 /tmp/foobar
>
> On Tru64/FreeBSD:
>     ----------    1 crow     users           0 Jan 16 10:30 /tmp/foobar

What are you intrested in - the difference in permissions or the
difference in group?

The permissions are probably due to a different umask being set...you
could call umask(0) before the open call to make sure it the user's umask
has no effect.

The difference in group owenership will be due to the permissions on /tmp
and the BSD/SysV family differences. This is documented in a man page
somewhere I think although I can't find it ATM. It is however documented
in APUE.

Andrew