Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:16:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        Nicholas Merrill <nick@calyx.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WinNT to FreeBSD

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Nicholas Merrill wrote:
> > At 02:35 AM 8/20/97 +0800, you wrote:
> > >We are currently operating an ISP under Windows NT Server 4, and are
> > >seriously thinking about changing and running it under FreeBSD 2.2.2.
> > >
> > >There is only one thing holding us back, it is very important that we keep
> > >track of our users, such as login times and length of login plus how much
> > >they are downloading per call.
> > >
> > >Windows NT displays all this information easily, I have not yet found a
> > >way to receive the same level of info from FreeBSD .. Can anyone please
> > >suggest some ideas?  As we _REALLY_ want to change over ASAP.
> > >
> > >Thank you,
> > >Jason McKay.
> >
> > Actually I heard it wasn't possible to track any information like that
> > with FreeBSD.  That may be the one edge that NT has in this competition.
>
> It is.  Everything is logged.  You can either use the 'last' command [man
> last(1)], or write your own interface to the last log [man utmp(5)]. Both
> of these options are trivial.  I am not as sure what to do if you want to
> know byte information, a simple approach may be to have their logout
> script call netstat, ala:
>
>        netstat -b -I INTERFACE
>
> (where INTERFACE is their current interface--i.e. their ppp interface, do
> 'netstat -i' to see them all)
>
> You may have some problems in determining the interface.  I'm sure I could
> figure out a simple way to do it, given enough time--of which I have not
> much of :)  This should at least give you some pointers of where to look.

This is why I made sliplogin, pppd and ppp (thanks Brian) generate a file
in /var/run which gives the sl/ppp/tun interface of the daemon attached
to a particular tty.  e.g. /var/run/ttyd0.if contains "ppp0".  Since 'w'
tells you the tty the user is on (from /var/run/utmp), it is a simple hop
to get the sl/ppp/tun interface they are using.

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */