Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:53:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jon Falconer <jfalconer@puc.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail, sasl, ldap

Greetings,

I'm trying to implement authenticated sending of email. But I want sasl to
authenticate against my LDAP server. The how-to in the FreeBSD handbook is
good but assumes only local authentication. The cyrus-sasl2 and openldap
ports give hints that it is possible, but I'm just not quite getting it.
Are there other how-to sites that others have used successfully? Do I need
to use PAM or does cyrus-sasl know how to directly query an LDAP server?
I'm running a fresh FreeBSD 6.0-Release system.

TIA,

Jon