Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 08:52:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Goddard <d.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto problems and boot-time error messages

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 05:13:40PM +0000, David Goddard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem with ppp -auto and also a couple of odd boot-time
> error messages - I suspect there may be a connection.  Maybe.
>
> Firstly, the odd messages are:
>
>   writing to routing socket: File exists
>   add net default: gateway 155.198.8.0: File exists
>
> These appear just after ppp -auto is started up - I have the default router
> set in sysconfig to the above IP address.

This means you tried to add a default route (probably via
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup), but one was already set.

Make sure that /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup contains something like:

MYADDR:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

I would guess that the 'delete ALL' is missing.

> I've been running ppp -auto successfully for a while, but it's recently
> started playing up.  The problem is that the process that causes the ppp
> link to be brought up doesn't seem to recognise that it's up and
> eventually times out.  The link itself comes up OK, as I can use it fine
> with other processes.

If this is still a problem, I'd need to know more details.

> I've recently been fiddling with filters and the problem surfaced at
> about the same time as this, but I've removed my filter references from
> ppp.conf.  The ppp show ifilter, dfilter etc. commmands tell me there are
> no filters.
>
> I've also rebuilt my kernel since the ppp problem started, but before I
> noticed the boot messages, if this is relevant.

Probably not.  This ppp isn't in the kernel.

> As an aside, last Saturday I ordered Greg Lehey's FreeBSD book from
> Walnut Creek and it arrived here in the UK yesterday.  Needless to say I
> was impressed by the turnaround time.  Shame it doesn't have anything on
> networking though :-(

The next edition will.  It'll even contain a reference to exactly this
problem :-)

Greg