Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:48:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
To:        Jamie Oulman <jamie@techsquare.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   Re: cvsup-16-f issue

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Jamie Oulman wrote:

JO> then use the package that wasnt built with X

From=20whence does one obtain this package though?  This is the problem.
The default build is linked to X11, thus the one on the CD (which is where
the original problem arose) requires X11 as does the one in
ports/packages/net on the ftp servers.  The binaries in
development/CVSup/binaries have been replaced with a README which points
to Jon's s1g page and the official CVSup website points people to
development/CVSup/binaries.

The s1g site is lagging behind in being current (as one would expect - it
was a response to a specific problem and not supposed to be a latest
download site) and thus, as far as *I* can tell, the only place where
anyone can obtain cvsup compiled -DWITHOUT_X11 as a package is on the
openirc.co.uk server where I put it after I compiled it just before
heading out to work this morning.

It's a little harsh to say 'just use a package' when there is no current
package available via the obvious channels.  There is clearly demand for
this, as this thread has demonstrated.  Clearly I'd love to be able to be
the sole source of cvsup packages to the world but sadly I don't have
anything like the bandwidth required.

If it were up to me then I would make the default build be -DWITHOUT_X11
and reinstate development/CVSup/binaries to have both versions available.
I'd also suggest that this happen before 4.5 gets out of the door so that
a more instantly usable version is included on the CD/DVD distros.

Just my =A30.02

--=20
Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>