Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 1995 03:30:35 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

   > > Why not appended it to /etc/rc.local
   > The purist in me cries for rc.local to be shipped empty !

   And some day it will be.  Actually, some day it won't even ship
   more than likely.

   > The pragmatist in me admits rc.local was never really local  ;-)

   True, but that does not mean we can't give it back to the rightful
   owner like we did with /usr/local.

Probability of all OS authors give it up won't be here soon.  As long as
its only FreeBSD which does the right thing, but none of the other systems
I need to keep running, it approximates null effect to me and I will keep
adding

if [ -x /usr/local/etc/rc.`hostname` ]
then
	/usr/local/etc/rc.`hostname`
fi

to all my systems /etc/rc.local.  Other than that, though, it works with my
scheme to have empty rc.local, so I certainly don't mind cleaning it up.

I guess it is hopeless to hope that *nothing* in root and usr would be
user's configureable; all configuration would be in /usr/local hierarchy.
This would eliminate need to back up configuration files and reinstalling
them when doing a full reinstall (I always forget a couple of them;
"ahem... what daemons was this one actually running..." :-).

A little help has been gradually moving configurations to a single master
machine and rdisting them to others, and not backing up the root and usr
partitions.  But this is clumsy, rdist won't work on all systems, and rdist
has security problems.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN