Date:      Sun, 02 May 1999 19:18:39 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Christopher Raven <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
Cc:        noharas@mail.findlay.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printer, EPSON Stylus color 850, CANON BJC-6000

I can run Ghostscript too but I didn't consider that a Postscript
printer. You are doing ESC/P2 or what ever Epson uses. My printers all
do Hpcl. The last time I tried a fill using Ghostview, a circle
developed white lines at any resolution over 150x150. For me, a
postscript printer was one you send Postscript to and it prints it.
Everything else was a substitute.

I have an ulterior motive because I have a number of Window based
Adobe products that do document preparation and they need a real
postscript printer. You can fiddle around and make things work but
they are never like you were using the real thing. The documents never
quite print the same way either. Ghostscript never did PhotoRET II in
the HP's. They didn't even do 600x600 and that would be going back to
300x300 or worse images.

Your point is one that I have sort of ignored. I have a way around my
problem. I know the commands to put the HP into HiRes mode. Using
GhostView basically cost me nothing, which I like even better. I have
a guy that I work for occasionally and he needs the HiRes Ghostview
output out for an HP890. There is a setup of a color inkjet. Perhaps
it could be a project for him <grin>. I will also have to setup my
Windows NT server to print to my Unix box. I have Lpdsvcs installed in
NT. I might as well try going the other way for a change. You never
learn anything without trying.

Kent