Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:22:09 +0300
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaling UFS with gjournal.

Hello, Pawel Jakub Dawidek!

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:11:01PM +0200, you wrote:

> For the last few months I have been working on gjournal project.
> To stop confusion right here, I want to note, that this project is not
> related to gjournal project on which Ivan Voras was working on the
> last SoC (2005).

[dd]

> Quick start:
>
> 	# gjournal label /dev/ad0
> 	# gjournal load
> 	# newfs /dev/ad0.journal
> 	# mount -o async,gjournal /dev/ad0.journal /mnt
> 	(yes, with gjournal 'async' is safe)
>
> Now, after a power failure or system crash no fsck is needed (yay!).

Is it safe to do so on existing filesystem (if I'm using 2nd partition for
journal)?

i.e.:

$ grep ad0s1f /etc/fstab
/dev/ad0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw,noatime      2   2

$ grep ad0s1b /etc/fstab
#/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0   0

# gjournal label ad0s1f ad0s1b
# gjournal load
# fsck -y /dev/ad0s1f.journal
# sed -i -e 's|ad0s1f|ad0s1f.journal|' /etc/fstab
# sed -i -e 's|noatime|noatime,async,gjournal|' /etc/fstab
# mount /usr

--
NEVE-RIPE, will build world for food
Ukrainian FreeBSD User Group