Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:15:43 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Nick LoPresti <nick@chromatix.com>
Cc:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using smbmount from the Samba package

Nick LoPresti wrote:

> Thanks, that works.  Sometimes it has problems unmounting though.  Oh well.
> Anyone know any more about the smbmount being implemented into samba for
> other UNI?(plural of Unix?)

	When I asked Jeremy Allison about this at FreeBSD Con it didn't seem
like it was going to be something high on the list.  From what I've
dug up smbmount is entrenched into the Linux kernel, and started life
as a very gross hack ( so I've been told ).

	Andrew Tridgell mentioned smbmount a little bit at the Perl/Open
Source Con.  It seems that smbmount had no one to maintain it, so
Andrew recently took it over.  Of course he works for Linux Care now
so I don't know if there's much incentive for him to make it work on
anything besides Linux.

	On a more positive note someone on one of the lists mentioned working
on IPX and SMB client support for FreeBSD.  This would have been a few
months ago ( ? ), but I haven't heard anything since.  Personally I
think this is probably your best bet, unless Andrew is open to making
smbmount work on something other than Linux ( he may be, I haven't
asked ).

Joseph