Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:14:50 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation: Preliminary support for more auxvec's [patch]

--6xO04bqTG+NC5D6o

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:55:36PM +0200, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 01:43:55PM +0200, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Attached please find a simple diff to implement additional loader=20
> >>information (for background please see:=20
> >>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2006-September/002=
591.html)
> >Namely, AT_EXECPATH (somewhat similar to the Solaris auxvec of the same
> >name) provides (might be relative) path for the binary being executed.
>=20
> Thank you very much.
>=20
> I have implemented the AT_PLATFORM, therefore all 2.6.16 (and later)=20
> i386/amd64 auxvecs are implemented, except for AT_SYSINFO and=20
> AT_SYSINFO_EHDR that are i386-specific and provide optional way of=20
> invoking linux syscalls (using so-called virtual dynamic shared object).
>=20
> I think we don't need those.

Do you know of any situation where we _must_ have those new auxvec you
implemented ?

>=20
> The code is completely untested on i386. My first attempts show that=20
> skype and acroread8 launch faster (probably due to the "hz" effect).
>=20
> The patch is here:
>=20
> http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~saper/FreeBSD/linux/auxvec.diff
I only briefly looked over it.

I suggest that the new AT_COUNT requires more thinking. Look at the
src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c, _rtld(), at line 338, where the auxvec is
digested by FreeBSD dynamic linker. It seems to be harmless, but at
least this is inconsistent. May be, AT_LINUX_PLATFORM etc defines
would make more sense.

Do you actually need imgp->machine member ? It seems that it is used
only inside linux_copyout_strings ?

>=20
> This was made against 7-STABLE, but there no major differences in=20
> -current. It is also trivial to port to 64-bit amd64 emulation.
Hmm, what are you referencing there ? I know only about one mostly
stalled effort.

--6xO04bqTG+NC5D6o

--6xO04bqTG+NC5D6o--