Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, kc@neteze.com
Subject:   Re: email content filtering

>From: "Kelsey Cummings" <kc@neteze.com>
>Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:56:21 -0700

>    Currently I am more concerned about inbound SMTP than what my customers
>are sending.   So- what I'm asking is:  what mail server could be used like
>this (after a message passed the filters it would be forwarded to the
>existing pop3/smtp server.)  I've heard that you can do this with Sendmail
>(although its way above my head) but I've also heard that procmail and qmail
>are the best choices.  Anybody have any experience doing this?  What qould
>you recommend?

Well, I'd recommend that you use a tool that either you're comfortable
using or not-too-uncomfortable paying someone else to use.  :-}

For me, I'd use sendmail.

procmail might possibly be an adjunct, but it's not an SMTP server.

For further informaton on the capabilities of sendmail, you might take a
look at http://www.sendmail.org/.

And for using procmail, Catherine Hampton has implemented something
called the "Spam Bouncer"; information on it may be seen at
http://www-new.hrweb.org/spambouncer/.  (You may want to chat with
Catherine regarding your plans in any case, but especially if you want
to incorporate the use of the Spam Bouncere in your services.)

As for other SMTP servers, I expect each has its merits, and further
information may be obtained at the usual Web (and other) sources.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915