Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:22:13 -0600
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Qmail update

I don't think there is a "newer" version of qmail.  1.03 is the latest
and has been for the last 3 years or so.

I've personally switched from qmail to postfix on all of my mail servers
(about 12 of them).  The latest versions of postfix give me better
performance, and I spend about 90% less time administering the boxes
now.

Are you using the qmail-pop3d program?  This should not ever hang since
it's not really a daemon that runs all the time.  It's meant to be
started with the tcpserver program from the ucp-tcp (or something like
that) from http://cr.yp.to

I suggest taking a look at postfix though.  It has many more features
than qmail, better performance (it hits the disk about 1/3 as much),
better logging, and administration can all be done with the "postconf"
command.

Jay