Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        dima@FreeBSD.ORG, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: acroread5-5.05, linux_base

(CC to Sergey A. Osokin removed)

Gerrit Kuehn wrote:

> Hi,

Hi, Gerrit.

> I've just upgraded from linux_base6 to linux_base7 on a FreeBSD
> 4.6-rel-p1 machine.
> However, now acroread5 coredumps when called:
>
> bash-2.05a# acroread
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
> Fatal System Error: Raise at top of Exception Stack
> Abort trap (core dumped)
>

> Acroread4 complains about similar things and crashes, too. I don't know
> if this is an acroread or a linux_base thing. All I can say is that
> acroread5 and linux_base6 worked fine. I need linux_base7 for other
> programs now, though.

There may be several other ported applications which do not work with
version 7.1 of the Linux base.  Red Hat provides some libraries which
allow applications which were compiled for Red Hat 6.x to be used with Red
Hat 7.x.  I intend to add those to the 7.1 Linux base, or possibly make a
separate port for them.  Otherwise, acroread and the other ports should
have an explicit dependency on linux_base-6.

In the meantime, you can use another PDF viewer such as ghostview
from ports/print/gv or xpdf from ports/graphics/xpdf.
--
Trevor Johnson