Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 23:03:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting warning on start-up/can't find files

On Sun, 2 May 1999 media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> I just installed 3.1-RELEASE on a 133 Pentium w/64M RAM.  I am using Boot
> Manager with a DOS partion (Windows 95).  Upon booting up FreeBSD, I get
> long list of messages I don't understand, including:
>
> Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug

There is a way to get a older pentiums to crash and lock up your
CPU, there is a trick to work around it, FreeBSD uses the trick.

> changing root device to wd0s2a

FreeBSD is using the first BSD partition inside your second BIOS partition
on your first IDE disk as its "root"

> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted

do NOT, just shut your FreeBSD system off, it's NOT MS-DOG (errr. DOS)
you must be root and run the shutdown command:

shutdown -h now

then it will tell you when it's safe to shut off the power.

> What does that mean??  Then in grey text it says:
>
> Swapon: adding /dev/WWd0s2b as swap device

FreeBSD is using the second partition inside your second BIOS partition
on your first IDE disk as the area it will put things when it runs out
of memory.

> Automatic reboot in progress . . .
> /dev/rwd0s2a: 965 files, 18251 used, 13492 free (228 frags, 1658 blocks,
> 0.7% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0s2f:  12185 files, 100382 used, 504225 free (27057 frags, 59646
> blocks, 4.5% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0s2e: 93 files, 1220 used, 28531 free (11 frags, 3565 block, 0.0%
> fragmentation)

these are your other partitions, use the command "mount" and "df",
examine the command "man fstab" for more explanations.

> When I log on as root, and type ls -lag it lists:
> .
> ..
> .cshrc
> .history
> .klogin
> .login
> .profile
>
> I expected to see directories like bin, dev, usr, etc., but they aren't
> listed.  Shouldn't they be there??

they are there, they're just waiting for you to pick up a book on
unix before they will reveal themselves to you. :)

root's home directory is /root/ so to see the other directories
you'll want to "cd /" first.... you can use the "pwd" command
in most shells to figure out "where you are" in the filesystem.

good luck,
-Alfred