Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 16:19:03 +0000
From:      "David P. Klindt" <dklindt@ordata.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BPF  Assistance

Looking for some detail help about compiling a kernel to include the
bpf. This requirement has surfaced because I want to use nfr
(http://www.nfr.com)  - a network management tool. To date, I have not
discovered any complete and accurate procedures for completing this
task. I have completed the following items do far - without success.

1. Have the following files in /usr/src/sys/net
        bpf.c  bpf.h  bpf_compat.h   bpf_filter.c  bpfdesc.h

2. For lack of better understanding, placed in my kernel config file:

        pseudo-device   bpf

3. In the /usr/src/sys/conf/files the following lines were was added:

        net/bpf.c               optional bpfilter always-source
        net/bpf_filter.c        optional bpfilter

4. I have complied the kernel with no apparent errors.

When I look at the /var/log/messages and see no indication the ether
net card has entered the promiscuous mode.

I am hoping someone can provide me a place to look for a single source
answer to this procedures needed to complete this task.

Best Regards

dklindt@ordata.com