Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/26053: fetchmail 5.7.6: translation of messages with `\r'

The following reply was made to PR ports/26053; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: Ville Eerola <Ville.Eerola@vehome.pp.sci.fi>
Cc: thierry@thomas.as, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:29:00 +0300

 On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:14:23AM +0300, Ville Eerola wrote:
 > Peter Pentchev writes:
 > > > 	Some messages in po/fetchmail.pot end with `\r\n'
 > > > 	=> `\n' would suffice?
 > >
 > > Does the attached patch to the port solve your problem?  It works for me,
 > > although all this time I've dismissed those warnings as just that - warnings,
 > > not serious errors.
 > >
 > > Does the port maintainer - Ville Eerola - like this fix? :)
 >
 > The patch itself seems simple, but I have a few questions about what
 > it does. Wouldn't it be better just to submit the fixes to the
 > fetchmail maintainers instead of trying to fix them within the FreeBSD
 > port? And btw. why does the patch change C-files? Third, are you sure
 > that the CR's are not there for some specific reason?

 *oof*.  Forget this.  I really need to check things before I post.
 Yes, the '\r' is needed - it is used when fetchmail adds headers to
 actual e-mail messages.  Since fetchmail speaks SMTP, and SMTP
 mandates \r\n as a line terminator (qmail even complains about bare
 newlines), then yes, the '\r's are needed.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.