Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 12:33:06 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/21814: Inetd's very existence is a security risk.

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 04:50:02AM -0700, Mike Meyer wrote:

>  Didn't really read the PR carefully, did you? The relevant part is:
>
>          I always (always, always, always) turn off inetd on any system
>          that needs to be secured against exposure to the world. I'd
>          really it rather not be on the system *at all*.
>
>  In other words, I *know* how to turn, but I want it gone
>  completely. The patch makes that much saner. If you don't like that
>  behavior, don't add NO_INETD to /etc/make.conf.

This is getting borderline absurd. If you don't like it don't run it.

All the other NO_*'s are typically because the program is one that takes
a long time to build(usually with no benefit, see ObjC..), conflicts with other
programs that do the same thing (sendmail, lpr), or are illegal for some of
us to use.

We dnn't just make them because we hate the very existance of a program[1].

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

1. Well, maybe NOPERL counts...