Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 10:08:13 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Hinrich Eilts <eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long pauses at startup

> Angelo Turetta stands accused of saying:
> >
> > What can it be the problem with my 2.0.5-RELEASE system, if I have to
> > wait for about one minute before the route_multicast line of sysconfig
> > is executed, and about 3.5 minutes for route_localhost ?
> >
> > I have set host.conf to look first at hosts file, then DNS, and set
> > entries for localhost & myhost.mydomain is /etc/hosts.
> > This host is the DNS primary (and only) server for my subnet, so I
> > think the hosts stuff is right: at startup named is not still running.
>
> This is your problem; you're timing out on nameserver lookups.   This is
> something that really annoys me about the standard 2.0.5 distribution, but
> I couldn't see a clean way around it.

In my case (a local-root nameserver setup) a solution was a
/bin/mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.CONF
at begin of /etc/netstart and a proper renaming at its end.
All wanted hosts for netstart have entries in /etc/hosts.

Hinrich

--
            Hinrich Eilts
 Uni:   eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de             | G i b   D O S |