Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:32:56 GMT
From:      Herve Quiroz <hq@FreeBSD.org>
To:        nsayer@kfu.com, hq@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/56928: jce-aba port should install to $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext

Synopsis: jce-aba port should install to $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext

State-Changed-From-To: suspended->feedback
State-Changed-By: hq
State-Changed-When: Fri Feb 18 23:21:26 GMT 2005
State-Changed-Why:
IMHO, we should decide whether we implement something here or just close the PR.

I would really like to hear opinions from the community.

And here is my own proposal: add a new macro to install jar files (probably
INSTALL_JAR) that would handle everything, from the installation of the JAR file
in ${JAVAJARDIR}, to the output of a message to explain where the JAR file is
and how to add it to the classpath -- using classpath(1) for example.

In the Makefile:

> do-install:
> 	@${INSTALL_JAR} ${WRKSRC}/myapp.jar
> 	@${INSTALL_JAR} ${WRKSRC}/myapp-core.jar
> 	@${INSTALL_JAR} ${WRKSRC}/myapp-ext.jar

Then, while installing the port:

$ make install
> [...]
>  >> Installing JAR file as /usr/local/share/java/classes/myapp.jar... [ DONE ]
>  >> Installing JAR file as /usr/local/share/java/classes/myapp-core.jar... [ DONE ]
>  >> Installing JAR file as /usr/local/share/java/classes/myapp-ext.jar... [ DONE ]
> [...]
> The port has installed several JAR files in /usr/local/share/java/classes
>
> To add these JAR files to your classpath, install java/javavmwrapper and use
> classpath(1).

I don't know if this is really worth the trouble of implementing it,
documenting it, and upgrading Java ports, though...

Herve