Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:15:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scp and >2GB files

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 01:36:46AM -0400, Mike Andrews wrote:
> > Any plans to improve scp so it can copy files larger than 2^31 bytes? For
> > those that haven't tried it, scp dies with "lost connection" almost
> > immediately after authenticating.  (I'm guessing it's seeing the file size
> > as a negative number and getting confused.)
> >
> > It would make a disk-to-disk backup solution I'm working on much easier.
> > With scp not able to do this easily, I'm not sure what I can use as a
> > quick replacement - maybe dump/restore to stdout run over an ssh pipeline,
> > or maybe rdist.  I've run tar over an ssh pipeline, but tar doesn't like
> > files over 2^31 bytes either...
> >
> > This is OpenSSH on 4.1-RELEASE, btw.
>
> Isn't,
>
>   $ scp file1 remote:file2
>
> Same as,
>
>   $ ssh remote 'cat > file2' < file1

Yeah, that works of course, as did Scot's pipe variation...  Why is it the
incredibly obvious solutions never occur to me until after I post to a
mailing list and make myself look really stupid?  Thanks, though. :)

Mike Andrews (MA12) * mandrews@dcr.net * http://www.bit0.com/
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)