Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:26:41 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rick Duvall" <maillist@coastsight.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Backup and Verify

This is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard, stop reading those
Microsoft
written articles in CIO magazine and start thinking for a few minutes.

Disaster recovery if you get hit by a Mac truck is itself going to be a
worse
disaster than the disaster that prompted it if your organization decides to
pick
"the average joe" off the street to do a disaster recovery.

For starters, unless you are continually backing up every moment of the day,
(which is done in some large systems) there's going to be a lot of
transactions
on the server that are missed because they happened _after_ last night's
backup,
and before the disaster struck.  So, it's going to take some saavy and
technical
experience, and good familiarity with your organization's systems to be able
take a restore backup, rebuild the server, then decide what-all that the
_organization_ needs to do about that missing data.  There's most likely
going to
be other systems (maybe even paper trails) that make the automatic
assumption that
your server never crashes, and the biggest amount of work in one of these
disaster
scenarios is not regenerating the server, but manipulating all other
hardware and
software in the dependent systems to get them back in sync with what the
restored
server thinks is reality.  That's not something the average joe is going to
be
able to do.

Your going to have a lot better disaster recovery plan if you assume that
whoever is brought in to put things back together is knowledgeable and is
going
to be called on to make a _lot_ of input into creating a new hard drive.
All your concern should be is to make absolutely sure that ALL data is
committed to storage media.  Let whoever is going to be putting Humpty
Dumpty back
together worry about partitioning and all that.