Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:06:03 -0600
From:      "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS and RPC

You have a lot mixed up here.

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
> Once inside the kernel, the NFS daemons can not use RPC library any more,
> they must create/interprete RPC format messages themselves.  My guess this
> is for performance reason and because there is no kernel-to-kernel RPC.

There is kernel-to-kernel RPC. NFS in the kernel on both client and server
sides use RPC. They don't use -lrpc though ...

> Since the kernel part of NFS code does not use RPC library routines, why
> FreeBSD still conforms to the RPC format for NFS requests/replies? Is
> this for compatibily with other NFS servers/clients that are implemented
> entirely as user-level code and with RPC library routines?

Because some NFS servers run in user mode (automount, amd, early linux,
even *very* early sunos). Some clients run in user mode too (mostly evil
hacker software ... but also Bigfoot, see www.acl.lanl.gov/~rminnich)

> One more question is about how to assembly a RPC request from several
> mbufs? I notice that there is a check for 0x80000000 in the routine
> nfsrv_getstream() for the last fragment.

that's to support rpc over tcp.

You need to look at the code again.

ron