Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:02:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chio trap with not-ready changer

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> Ok, after some interesting side trips I'm happily up and talking to our
> new (well, new-old) SpectraLogic STL-8000.  There's only one catch so far
> - if the unit is still initialising itself when the 'ch' driver tries to
> talk to it, the latter fails in a messy fashion.  It's easy enough to
> work around this by increasing the SCSI delay, but if you have 40 tapes
> in the unit and it's busy reading the barcodes off them all, this can be
> a loooong wait. 8)

I used to service/support these beasts (as a VAR) and have found that they
will cause various OS's (NT/Netware/SCO) to hang if you don't let them
fully initialize before booting...very poor firmware
design.  Unfortunately, we never found a reasonable work-around other than
to wait.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org