Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:01:08 -0000
From:      "J.Braganca" <joaobraganca@mail.telepac.pt>
To:        <aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   29160 card undetected in kernel 2.0.36

Hi, I'm a newbie in this list, hope not being exaustive and hopefuly not too
dumb in my questions.

I have a running 2.0.36 kernel in a IDE disc. Want to add a 29160 card with
it's own disc and scsi tape drive.

The 29160 is detected after power-on, as well as the disc and tape drive.
They are correctly terminated.

To install the driver, installed in an untouched 2.0.36 source tree the
aic7xxx-5.1.19-2.0.36.patch downloaded in the dledford's page.   A few hunks
failed. I used the command "patch -p1 <aic7xxx-5.1.9-2.0.36.patch" while in
/usr/src/linux.

Prepared to rebuild the kernel. In a "make menuconfig", selected "Adaptec
AIC7xxx support", saved and exited. Then made a "make dep", a "make clean",
a "make boot" and finally a "make install". Rebooted.

At boot, I noticed a "scsi : 0 hosts" message. After logging as root, went
to /lib/modules/preferred/scsi and made a

insmod aic7xxx

which reports:
scsi : 0 hosts.
./aic7xxx.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Any help would be great.

Joao