Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:55:39 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        AN <andy@neu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to checkout ports for 14-stable

--MA9VO8WihwxvcXn9

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 10:29:55PM -0500, AN wrote:
> >   origin/2023Q3
> >   origin/2023Q4
> >   origin/HEAD -> origin/main
> >   origin/main
> >
> > (so, remove the "origin/" part to get the branch name)/(so, remove the
> > "origin/" part to get the branch name)/
> Thanks for your quick response, that worked.

Great; happy to help.

> So I assume that I will need
> to remove /usr/ports every quater and checkout the latest ports?

That depends on (among other things):
* what (sequence of) branches you intend to use (quarterly? HEAD (main)?);
* how you maintain your local ports tree (if it's a git repo, I would
  expect you would have no need to remove it -- just "git pull", possibly
  with an occasional (quarterly) "git checkout
  ${current_quarterly_branch}").

I am not an expert in git, so there are likely "interesting" (and
possibly even useful) variations on that theme.

> Also, I guess origin/2023Q4 is where developers make updates to?

No; the quarterly branches only get critical fixes (IIRC).  "main" (aka
"HEAD") is where normal, day-to-day changes are made.  It (main) can
thus be a bit turbulent at times.

Peace,
david
--=20