Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:56:55 -0500
From:      Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 2.3.0 pre-upgrade

In message <3A21954C.F9E9D25F@vangelderen.org>, "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" writes
:
>Or at a more basic level: Are cooked primes a problem in
>this setting?[1] If not, you want to mention this as a
>non-issue in the "Security Considerations" section. If
>cooked primes are indeed a problem the protocol needs to
>be enhanced to counter them. Either way, the draft needs
>a couple of extra words IMHO.
That is not an issue.  You need to trust the server anyway.  If you
have any helpful wording that could be added to the draft, I will be
more than happy to include it.

>Anyway, my assumption that dh-group-exchange is non-standard
>still holds as far as I can see so I'd still recommend not
>enabling this feature by default for now.
There are a couple of implementations besides OpenSSH that support it.
Of course, you could still disable it, but you should think about it
carefully.

>What steps have to taken to have this standardized? Is this
>proposal being considered by the IETF secsh working group?
We are working on it, it takes time though.

Niels.