Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:57:49 -0500
From:      "Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RC5 client

  Does FreeBSD provide a means for programs to find out how many processors
are installed in the system? The newest RC5 client
(http://www.distributed.net/) always gives the message "FreeBSD does not
support SMP or does not support processor count detection. A single
processor machine is assumed". Now, true, I'm not running a SMP machine, but
it would be nice if myself or someone else could correct distributed.net so
they don't keep going around spreading the misconception that FreeBSD
doesn't support SMP when it does.
  Yes, I realize that the statement clearly indicates that perhaps we just
don't support returning the number of processors in a SMP system, that's why
I am asking if there is in fact a way that we can share with
distributed.net.

  Thanks,

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@posi.net~