Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:58:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gmirror size question

--- Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> R. B. Riddick <arne_woerner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, but that takes quite a lot of work and time.  If you

Yup! Right!

> use RAID1, you don't want any downtime in the first place.
> Also, it might not be obvious to the person repairing the
> mirror that the new disk is too small.  The EINVAL errno
> code isn't really very verbose about the root of the
> problem.

Yup! Maybe the G_RAID5_DEBUG should use 0 as its first argument and not 1, so
that at least syslog mentions the reason why it failed... And the gmirror front
end could try to be more context sensitive with its error messages... :-)

Who writes the change request? I can do, if nobody else wants to do it...

> If you use the gnop trick at the beginning, so the gmirror
> is somewhat smaller, then you can simply plug in the new
> drive, gmirror insert, and you're done.  No downtime at
> all.  You don't even have to remember anything special.

Yup! Right!

-Arne