Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:42:04 CET
From:      "Frank Ronny Larsen" <crazyfraggle@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IBM Thinkpad 400E + 3C589D

Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD on an IBM Thinkpad 600E. I tried installing
3.4-release with PAO, but it had a tendency to crash during install on
random points. I decided to go for the 4.0-current instead, since I read
somewhere that this should be working fine with the Thinkpad 600E. The
install went smoothly from a snapshot CD.

However, when I try to install the network card, a 3Com Ethernet III 3C589D,
I run into a lot of problems. First of all, I had a lot of hasle with the
pccardd claiming there was no more free IRQ and/or I/O space. This was
solved by forcing IRQ 13 in the pccard.conf file.

Now I get the card initialized and sort of working. If I try to ping another
machine (ie. the router) I usually do not get any response. Just a few ACK's
come through, sometimes after 110 secs. If I try to use telnet or ssh to
another machine, I usually get through, but things are very slow.
FTP from a server where I get 150kB/s normally, gave me a rate of 1.9 kB/s.

Examining the traffic using tcpdump on another computer in the network
showed that on all attempts of ping, an ACK was sent from the pingee. The
FTP transfer behaved somewhat like this: (I don't have the output, sorry)
Server sends 8 packets (of 512b), after ~2sec the laptop ACKs the last, the
server sends 8 new packets, laptop ACKs after ~2sec, etc.

If the server sends 9 packets, only the eight is ACKed, and the 9th has to
be retransmitted.

Also, for some reason the card is allocated as ep1, since the pccardd claims
that ep0 is occupied.

Frank Ronny Larsen
...sorry about the hotmail-address, but no BSD=no mail. :(