Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:09:25 +0000
From:      "Tom Jones" <thj@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CFT: VPP on FreeBSD

Hi freebsd-net,

I have been working for the last few months of porting VPP to FreeBSD an=
d this work is now ready for very early testing. This porting work is sp=
onsored by the FreeBSD Foundation in partnership with RG Nets.

If you would like to experiment with VPP on FreeBSD then you can work fr=
om my freebsd-vpp branch available here: https://github.com/adventureloo=
p/vpp/tree/freebsd-vpp

The README.freebsd offers a walk through of build and configuration base=
d on the configuration of my bhyve test machine.
The port has been tested in bhyve with virtio interfaces and on real har=
dware using Chelsio T62100-LP-CR 100Gbit NICs.

With this branch you should be able to launch VPP and configure it to ru=
n as a router on FreeBSD CURRENT and 14 using both DPDK and netmap.

This branch represents my upstreaming queue of changes heading towards V=
PP and some FreeBSD specific patches required to build and run right now=
 which I expect not to need in the future.

If you test and encounter issues or want to get in touch I=E2=80=99m hap=
py to receive bug reports via that issues on that github repo or directl=
y via email to thj@freebsd.org.

I=E2=80=99m looking forward to hearing the exciting ways this breaks and=
 the VPP configurations that FreeBSD users expect to be available.

Thanks

Tom