Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:46:40 +0300 (AST)
From:      root@isis.dynip.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability of FreeBSD vs Linux 2.1.x / 2.2.1

On 29 Jan, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 January 1999 at 21:10:06 -0500, EKuklajr@aol.com wrote:
>> My company is looking into re-writing our MS-DOS application as a Unix
>> application and i am seriously considering Open source projects such as
>> FreeBSD and Linux as our workstation OS.  Is there any study or data
>> indicating which release is the most stable for our Intel Pentium platforms?
>> Or are they equivalent?  Stability is important as our machines are toxic gas
>> monitors (running  24/7/365), and reliability is very VERY important.
>
> I think that, compared to MS-DOS, both are incredibly stable.  As
> Jason says, it's difficult to make accurate comparisons.  One approach
> would be to port to both platforms: they're similar enough that this
> should be no more difficult than porting to just one.  For *real*
> reliablity, run one machine with each.  This would, incidentally, put
> you in the best position to ascertain the relative reliability of the
> systems for your particular application.

Hey Greg, What a clever answer, you are a real genius.
One thing is worth telling the author of the original message, it is
your job if you are going to go ahead with such a test, to insure that
NO BUGS in your own software that would trigger a crash on one system,
but fails to do the same for the other.

God help you man. (TOXIC WASTE), I hope that's not interfering with any
ozone layer or anything ;-)

--
- MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.                                ~o  .^.