Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:07:18 -0500
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network backup

I don't *just* want to make a backup. I want to back it up using an
efficient method because I'm dealing with terabytes of data. I can't
just back so much data daily over network and compress it. I have
to do incremental backups and compression on the fly is a must to
save disk space. I understand that rsync needs to be able to read
local copy of the backup in order to sync files correctly, however, this
can be done using on-fly compression, I just don't have/know the right
tool. Tools like rar and zip can do this only locally and don't support
large archive files; you have to break them up into many smaller ones,
unless I missed something (i tried to zip/rar a lot of files and once the
archive grew over gig or so in size, it errored out on me). Dump is a
mess to work with, it doesn't work with directories nor with single
archive file. You need to keep creating new dumps using different
backup levels and I don't know how you will restore files for x user
using all those little dumps when you need to efficiently.

-Simon