Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:59:52 -0800
From:      Justin Bastedo <justin.bastedo@gmail.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error connecting to mysql via php

One thing to check, don't think it applies to the version you are
using but has caused me a similar problem in the past. Make sure your
php compiled mysql client and mysql server are using the same
encryption schema on the password.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

Another thing is what does the die display? whats the mysql Error?
that might help give a bit more information.