Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 19:42:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: My first SMP kernel...

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> > I've grabbed all the CTM deltas from freefall's ftp area, and checked
> > out the most recent kernel source.  Well, i didn't get this kernel to
> > work stable, it crashed all over the place. :-(  At best, it could
> > get away to run something like `make obj', at worst, i couldn't even
> > log in since the shell crashed immediately (sig 4, sig 11 etc.).  Note
> > that this even happened when running this kernel uni-processor, while
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> by this you mean before doing "sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2"?
>
> ---
> > the old (3.0-current) kernel.GENERIC ran fine on identical hardware.
>
> I think Chuck Robey  <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu> would be the one to ask as to
> determining whether those CTM deltas are current, I wouldn't have a clue...

There hasn't been a ctm update in a couple weeks, but I haven't seen any
commit messages either, so the ctm deltas available on freefall in
pub/CTM/smp-cur should still represent the latest n'greatest.  I built my
own kernel from those sources, and it's running for me.

The thing for folks to beware of is that the smp stuff doesn't reside as
part of the main cvs tree, it has it's own completely separate cvs
archive.  In order to maintain it, you have to change your CVSROOT
variable when using cvs (back and forth from pointing at /home/ncvs for
the main tree, and wherever you unpack the smp cvs archive for smp).  You
also have to be able the mv your sys directory out of the way for building
the kernel, then putting things back the way they should be before you use
cvs to update your tree (else you'll trash your smp sources).

I can't wait for the smp stuff to be integrated into the main tree,
because doing things this way, I'm certain to bobble it, sooner or later.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |