Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 04:44:27 +1000
From:      Scott Aitken <scotta@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   delay services until pcmcia nics start

Hi all,
is there a way to delay the starting of certain services (eg. dhcp server or squid), until after a pcmcia NIC has started?
I have two nics, both pcmcia, one an 802.11 cisco aironet card, and the other is a xircom ethernet.
I use the /etc/start_if.ano and /etc/start_if.xe0 scripts to configure the cards.  I also pause during the execution of /etc/start_if.ano for 60 seconds (for some reason it won't go into ad-hoc mode straight away).

I need to delay the execution of the isc-dhcp server, otherwise it starts before both cards are up.  It then doesn't listen on the interface that starts later.
Also, squid attempts to verify dns by resoving certain well-known hosts.  It can't to this at the time it starts because neither nic is ready.  (I know you can disable this with -D, but even still...)

Thanks
Scott