Date:      27 Feb 2000 11:09:10 -0800
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        bwoods2@uswest.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kdelibs port broken?

>> It appears that you do not care to hear my reasons, so I won't bother.
>> If I have reasons that I want Qt and KDE in their own directories, I
>> will do so.  I would rather apps that expect Qt and KDE to be set up
>> the same as they are on other OS's to work, than to require apps to be
>> quirkified for FreeBSD's heir.  You may not agree with my decision,
>> and I'm not asking you to.  But if bwoods has the same preference that
>> I do, I'll gladly tell him how to implement them, and would appreciate
>> not being told I'm stupid in the process.
> I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. If you feel like
> explaining how to achieve this effect, I would prefer it become part of
> the mailing list archive than lost forever in private mailboxes.

Ah, I was just being oversensitive at the end of a long day.

> Even though I'll never need the instructions you give, I'll be quite
> happy to let you show someone else who is intent on doing things the
> same way, how to do it.
> I just don't see the point in it (and like I'm going to give up trying
> to convince you why hier is important, you can just give up your side).

Already did.

> So, by all means, do go ahead and tell everyone on this mailing list
> (questions) how they might do it your way. :-)

Sure, nothing to it.

I had built and installed Qt by hand in /usr/local/qt-1.45, and
defined a symlink /usr/local/qt to there.  (I could have built
directly in /usr/local/qt, but I experiment with different versions of
Qt and want to keep them straight.)  I defined the environment
variables QTDIR=/usr/local/qt and KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-1.1.2, created
/usr/local/kde-1.1.2, and make /usr/local/kde a symlink to it.  (That
symlink is not used during the port, but I define KDEDIR to be
/usr/local/kde in etc.profile and etc.cshrc.)

I went into each subport listed in /usr/port/x11/kde11/Makefile, and
individually built.  Before each build, I edited the Makefile to add
"--with-extra-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-extra-libs=/usr/local/lib" to CONFIGURE_ARGS.  (If
--with-extra-includes is already there, add /usr/local/include to its
argument; it's a colon-separated path; ditto for /usr/local/lib.)
Before building to kdegames11, you need to build
/usr/ports/converters/kdesupport11.  Then, to actually build, use
'make PREFIX=/usr/ports/kde-1.1.2 install'.

Cheers,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org