Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:15:11 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@maxwell.syr.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IR Remote for AverMedia and FlyVideo

Christopher Sedore writes:
> I bought a one-for-all remote that I drove from FreeBSD just in the last
> year or two.  You might try www.smarthome.com.  I bought the remote,
> cable, and docs for how to use it for under US $100.  They also have
> RS232 learning IR devices for $180.  Expensive, but I wasn't willing to
> do the electronics work.

Familiar with www.smarthome.com. Bought docs from them when the OFA-6
changed to a newer OFA-6.

A problem I've always had with the OFA-6 was that I couldn't "hold a
button down" over the serial port. Could only momentarily press it.

Found something interesting, http://www.smarthome.com/1143.html, "IBM
Home Director X10 Starter Kit." Appears to be software for programming
a fancy IR/RF remote control via serial port. Then you can turn the
computer off and the remote control will execute preprogramed
instructions at the assigned time. $39.95. Now it doesn't really say
the IR/RF remote control has the serial port but I don't see anything
else. It does say you can turn the computer off after programming your
events. So it has to happen outside of the computer.

Guess I'm going to have to buy one to find out.

On second thought it appears SmartHome is simply not picturing the Home
Director controller, which is the component that connects to the PC
serial port. Search for "IBM Home Director" on Yahoo! yielded lots of
accurate hits.

At the moment I don't see a path from the computer to an IR appliance.
Maybe there is one. Maybe not. But mostly the IR/RF remote control is
there to provide a cordless way for a human to do the X10 stuff.