Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:42:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Chang Song <song@zk3.dec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

> Could you let me know what SoftUpdate does not address?
> Thank you.
Growing and shriking the file system, access control lists, the
softupdates license issue, and the ability ot easily extend the
capabilites of the file system without having to rewrite utilities such as
fsck.

> Is jornaling only solution to removal of fsck at boot time?
> Softupdate not only address required boot time fsck on crash and but also
> addresses tighter consistency of UFS.
You want to avoid a UFS fsck at boot time. fsck for lfs or softupdates is
very fast as opposed to fsck'ing a large UFS partition.

-Don