Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:04:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        y0002257@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Sven Brandenburg)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: turning off scsi disks

As Sven Brandenburg wrote...

> I hope this isn't FAQ or already in progress -
> but I wonder whether it is possible to turn off a scsi harddisk
> automatically after a certain time of no operation - recent ide drives can
> handle this.
>
> I know, *SOME* older scsi drives knew a vendor specific command which performed
> the same - but I tried this with my (newer) harddisks and it didn4t work :-(
>
> My question is:
>   Can someone help me to find out the *RIGHT* scsi commands for my disks
> or

START/STOP unit should do it.

> I suppose turning off a scsi harddisk with the scsi(8) command and START/STOPUNIT
> crashes the whole system rather than reducing noise ;-)

You better be a bit careful with this. The very nice MTBF figures we
see these days are definitely not spec'ed by a system turning the
drive on/off every couple of minutes. At least not if the drive
was not designed for this. E.g. laptop drives even have 'parking
ramps' to lay their heads to rest ;-)

Wilko