Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:37:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      phil grainger <phil@ozxpress.com.au>
To:        freebsd isp <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sockets stuck in "CLOSING" state: 3.2-RELEASE

Quoting Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>:

> Hi all,
>
> I posted a message about this a while ago but I never
received a response.

> I am still having problems with TCP sockets getting
stuck in the "CLOSING"
> state. The machine is now up to 57 such sockets, and
this number keeps
> rising since they never seem to die off. This
machine's main function is
> proxying (Squid).

i have a similar problem, with a 3.0-RELEASE box ...
it runs for about 5 days then it starts to slow down
i assume cause it can't find a free data port ??

last time i checked, its ftp speed was down to about
6k a second across ethernet ...
strangly enough though proxy speed is unaffected...

rebooting is the only way i know how to fix it (every
sunday night).

runs transparent proxy squid 2.1, mysql3.22.23,
icradius 0.1 & apache 1.3.6.
i suspect that mysql is the cause, these problems seem
worse since i started using mysql.
its not really a problem just embarassing as its
reliablility is below the average NT box ...
at least it reboots reliably

phil grainger

ozxpress.com.au
user support services