Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:54:40 +0100
From:      Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: have desktop on freebsd

[ saeedeh motlagh wrote on Mon 17.Sep'12 at 10:09:31 +0430 ]

> my video card is intel, you mean i should change my driver to intel?
> could you please tell me how to do that? i change my driver type from
> fbdev to vesa in xorg.conf file but it has the fbdevhw error yet. i
> think i should do something else to change my driver.
> please let me know if i'm making mistake and how to fix it.
> thanks

My video card is also intel. At first I just used the default installation config. Then, I used Xorg -configure which created a xorg.conf.new file in /root.

I edited this and made very modifications. The relevant sections is:

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"                # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        Option     "DRI"                        "True" # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"              # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"                  # [<bool>]
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "intel"
        VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
        BoardName   "4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Also, near to the top of the file, there is module section. I have this:

Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dri2"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
EndSection

Naturally, you can add and remove the things you don't want or need in this file. To use the new file for X, rename it (mv(1)) to /etc/X11/xorg.conf .

I think that should, I hope, do it for you.

Good luck and I hope that helps you a bit.

Best wishes, Jamie