Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:24:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stuttering in Mpeg3 playback

I have noticed a distinct 'stutter' in soundplayback on mpg123 using
OSS/FreeBSD 3.8h with an Ensonq Soundscape Elite.  The problem is that if
the machine is running even with a moderate load the sound playback
suffers small skips (even if the processor still has as much as 25% idle
time).  The problem is also noticible in X if I just switch focus by
moving the mouse.  (moving the mouse without changing focus does not cause
the skip).  It seems like the card is not being saturated with data.  This
is odd, because with a 64K DMA buffer (I believe the default with OSS),
it should be a full 1/3 second of buffered data.

Has anyone else experienced this.  Is it a problem with my soundcard, the
kernel, or OSS?

--
David Cross