Date:      25 Feb 1998 17:49:10 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        matt@zigg.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing 2.1.6-RELEASE up to 2.2.5-STABLE

John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> writes:
> In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.980224210110.10338A-100000@megaweapon.zigg.com>,
> Matt Behrens  <matt@zigg.com> wrote:
> > I have a 2.1.6-RELEASE CD that I want to donate to a poor friend.  Can she
> > subsequently use cvsup to bring her system up to 2.2.5-STABLE, and if so,
> > does anyone remember all the extra steps involved?
>
> It should probably work.
>
> One thing you'll need to do is add the line:
>
>     network:*:69:
>
> to your /etc/group file before doing the make world.  There may be
> other things necessary as well, but I don't remember any.  If there
> are, you'll find out. :-)

Been there, done that (nearly). I recommend the following procedure:

 - install a bare-bones 2.1.6R and the bare minimum of packages (bash,
   less, lynx, ncftp, cvsup-nogui)
 - fetch the complete 2.2.5-STABLE sources using cvsup
 - copy /usr/src/etc/make.conf to /etc/make.conf, and edit it
 - make buildworld
 - rename /etc to /oldetc and copy over crucial files (pwd.db, groups,
   perhaps one or two others)
 - 'cd /usr/src/etc ; make distribution DESTDIR=/'.
 - make installworld
 - build a kernel
 - reboot
 - remove all packages and replace with newer versions from
   ftp.*.freebsd.org
 - customize /etc/rc.conf etc.
 - install X and other cruft

Note that I've never done this on 2.1.6R (only on 2.2.1R and 2.2.2R),
so YMMV.

Also note that fiddling with /etc/make.conf can significantly speed up
this process.

--
"I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out." (Michael Press on a.s.r)