Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 08:05:04 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        mraught@acm.org (Mark A-J. Raught)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ok then stupid question about IBSS mode

> > > So we have an IBSS master and IBSS slaves.
> > >
> > > To setup a master then
> > >
> > > wicontrol -p 1
> > > wicontrol -c 1
> > > wicontrol -n "irulethelink"
> > >
> > > so non-masters are what then:  ?!
> >
> > Just a note: Those commands are only valid for Lucent/Orinoco firmware.
> > The Intersil and Symbol firmware each have their own way. :-)
> >
> > With Lucent firmware to be a ibss slave, you configure it the same as for
> > BSS station mode (to connect to an AP). You can also configure them all
> > as ibss masters and all but the first will fall back to slave mode.
>
> So excuse my ignorance, but how would you set up master or slave on
> a linksys wpc11? I read about hostap mode, I even saw someone (Warner I
> think it was) is using this same card. But the leds just blink when I
> try to set it up with the above type of setup.

If the wpc11 use the Intersil firmware, you should do "wicontrol -p 0"
and the rest should be the same. (I do not have a card with Intersil
firmware yet, but this is what I learned when merging the OpenBSD
"mediaopt ibss" stuff.) If it is using Symbol firmware, you need to
use "wicontrol -p 4" and it can't be a master so the "-c 1" is useless.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org