Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2012 09:51:40 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, kde@freebsd.org, ruby@freebsd.org, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org, "Jason E. Hale" <bsdkaffee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> KDE folks .... Jason's suggestion (by private e-mail for some reason)
> was that we add pkgconfig to USE_GNOME= for every port that depends on
> kdelibs that doesn't already have it; since almost, if not actually all
> of them are currently relying on the run-dep side effect. I can't see
> any reason NOT to do this, but if you have an objection please speak up
> sooner rather than later.
>
> On 07/21/2012 21:33, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

>>> Yes, and some of us have been annoyed by it for years as well. :)
>>>
>>> The current behavior is wrong, and becomes increasingly painful in a
>>> world where most FreeBSD users are using packages because it drags in a
>>> totally pointless package to essentially every FreeBSD system. Fixing
>>> this bug is a good thing, and needs to be done sooner rather than later.
>> <snip>
>>
>> It is unnecessary to be in hurry when that pkg-config has been in the
>> bsd.gnome.mk for about nine years.
>
> The sooner we start fixing it, the better off we are.
>
>> I already have a better solution
>> available for weeks. Therefore, you (and others) need to be patient
>> because when I add the :build/:run dependency in the bsd.gnome.mk then
>> that pkg-config runtime dependency will be re-added.
>
> Um, yeah ... don't do that.

You need to start to respect the people's work and plan, Doug. Also I
am part of team that maintaining the bsd.gnome.mk. Yes it will be
re-add if anyone plan to remove it, because I already have planned add
the :build/:run feature in the bsd.gnome.mk that the without :* will
be both build/run time dependency. It is impossible for me to not
re-add it. It is not going to be long because I already have function
:build/:run in the bsd.mate.mk (was repocopied from bsd.gnome.mk)
available.

The only thing that I don't plan is to chase thousands of port to have
the 'pkgconfig;build'. If anyone want to take up this task is cool
with me.

--
mezz.freebsd@gmail.com - mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team