Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 04:32:56 +0900
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        egoitz@ramattack.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jumpstart on FreeBSD 9.0

On 02/21/12 02:24, egoitz@ramattack.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my Jumpstart services for provisioning machines,
> but I'm founding that in FreeBSD 9.0 things are become slightly
> different than in previous releases. For example... tar -C ... -pxvf
> does not work with some files (althout you can mount iso and later do an
> rsync preserving file flags....), another change is that you don't see a
> mfsroot for using in the service... perhaps in this release you need to
> create by you're own... has anyone see this problems I'm talking about
> in this new release?? If I rebuild the release isos... (from source)
> could I pass something (or can do something) for getting the commented
> mfsroot?.

To get tar to extract the ISOs, I think you need a newer tar. There was
some conformance issue in makefs.

With respect to the mfsroot, this was something that slipped before the
9.0 release. If you want it, the easiest way is to build new media that
use sysinstall (which also makes things identical to 8.x releases),
which you can do by:
cd /usr/src
make -f Makefile.sysinstall release

There are some environment variables you can read about here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=release&apropos=0&sektion=7&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-stable&arch=default&format=html

This situation should be corrected for 9.1.
-Nathan