Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 03:12:22 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
Cc:        marcus@miami.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, teresa@bryfi.com
Subject:   Re: What's Bill Gates done to us now?

Doug Jolley wrote:

> >Enabling encrypted passwords should get you setup.
>
> Thanks.  I would be concerned that doing that would cause
> problems with my Win95 clients.  Maybe I should just turn
> off the encryption in the Win98 registry.

That may be the better all round solution. The same type of problem
exists with NT4. Service Pack 3 and above made encrypted passwords the
default and it requires a registry hack to enable plain-text passwords.
This 'feature' appeared apparently about the same time that all
references to Samba (including Knowledge Base known-problems)
disappeared from the M$ Website. Now why would they do that when all
Samba does is render NT Servers redundant :-)

> Thanks to all who responded to my post.  (I need all the help
> I can get!)
>
>      ... doug

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com